RND/ To historically double down on one’s philosophical dislike of the (problematic) mere notion of “Someone like David Foster Wallace” – consider a satirical ‘Infinite Jest‘ painting of modern literary sainthood:
3440 x 2628 .jpg
The text in the upper left reads “When Institutional Racism means never having to apologize for Publishing.” Image via a cringeworthy, self-debasing act of misplaced idolization.
Stand tall, and feel proud for not succumbing to the all white DWF cult. If you’re in a bookshop, Infinite Jest makes a great impromptu step ladder to better literature.
Example Reference Links
- The Atlantic: David Foster Wallace and the Dangerous Romance of Male Genius
- Bitch Media: The Myth of the Male Genius
- The Smart Set: David Foster Wallace’s Problematic Tenses
- The Outline: Academics explain David Foster Wallace to me
- Devon Price: A Brief on Hideous Things About David Foster Wallace
- Huffington Post: Was This Decade The Beginning Of The End Of The Great White Male Writer?
- Harvard Business Review: Academia Isn’t a Safe Haven for Conversations About Race and Racism