RND/ to consider P.A.N.I.C.S. – An Open Crowd Sourced F.E.A.R Game. In the sense of an Eternal Return.
From an idea by Roosterteeth. Images via Zero Hour game (Steam Community screenshots), 1920 x 1080:
It is 1984. You are Frank Custom, rookie member of Brav0 Squad, a special military group secretly formed to battle ‘supernaturally weird’ enemies and save survivors in the disturbingly empty city of Fairport.
Featuring the following conceptual elements:
- Overwhelming emphasis on Atmosphere and ‘cinematography’.
- Smalltalk at (somehow predictable) odds with the wider immediate (action-adventure) context.
- A spiritual successor to F.E.A.R. An ‘otological horror shooter.’
- Has as bizarre style / Unlife of it’s own.
- It’s all about actively avoiding being Killed, Mutilated or Possessed by Dark Strange Imaginary Forces – and the shocking social consequences if you are, eg. no longer being invited to parties.
- Intense, camera-never-pulls-away-scenes of ‘People behaving oddly’.
- No gore, just Gut Churning Dread.
- Takes place in Fairport, also known as Ghost City; turns out the entire city is a mass virtual grave and it’s very reality is Haunted (ie. no supernatural events per-say take place.)
- “It Was Supposed To Be A Routine Mission”
- You Imagine It’s X But (It’s So Much Worse), aka “There’s something very wrong with this place.”
- Having to work at some point with the Perps you’re fighting in order to survive
- R.D.S Radical Desimulation Scenario aka “Zero Hour” – ‘all these dimensions are starting to collapse’.
- “There’s something weird in Room 302.”
- “There’s a perfectly logical explanation.”
- “You need to be thinking about the system.”
- Helmet ‘Chuck’ noise.
- Secret code word “Corduroy.”
- “Wild-ass freaky shit.”
- Fearing totally cool team mates Spoon, Herzog, Vapor, and Wizard with PhD’s in Badass Mother-ology.
- Frosted cinnamon Danishes.
- Charged electric skeletons.
// how to play big science